28 Nov 2011

"Kid Cole & Clay" or How I met Kevin Dart and Pete Candeland

It's interesting to see how far my professional life in London took me in only 5 years. And how many amazing talents and souls I've met!
I started working at Cartoon Network Development Studio Europe in 2007. I first did the animatic of an opening sequence for a pilot called "The Vaughan Boys", directed by Alan Kerswell. Unfortunately it didn't make it to a proper TV series.
After that, They asked me to direct the opening sequence for another pilot called "The Amazing Adventures of Kid Cole & Klay"directed by Pete Candeland.
I was already a big fan of his work for Gorillaz, I got really excited and a bit nervous as well. Then I've been told I would be working in collaboration with an illustrator based in L.A. called Kevin Dart.
The funny thing was, I discovered his work few month before and had just ordered two prints from him as gifts for my brother and his wife 3 days earlier!!! I felt like the luckiest person on the planet! Working with Pete and Kevin was the best experience I ever had at that time! We were all on the same page and trusted each other. I had few meetings with Pete who would show me a bunch of sketches of ideas of scenes he'd like to see in the opening. I used that as a base for my storyboard. I dug into my vintage soundtracks and edited a temporary music to build my animatic on. Kevin produced most of the backgrounds and monsters. Lionel Marchand animated the main characters and Ben Locket composed the final track.
So here are 2 work in progress (early board on a temp track and colorboard on the final music with a temporary voice over) and the final animation.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wherever you found this, please try to find the rest there.